noun (plural fieldsmen)
1 Cricket , British A fielder.
- I can't describe it explicitly without pictures, but suffice it to say that there are definite positions for fieldsmen in cricket.
- A batsman tries to stop the fieldsman from getting the ball by getting in his way.
- If anything, he should have directed his ire at the umpires, who are required to regulate the comings and goings of fieldsmen.
2An agent or salesman working for a company.
- At the new market complex at Wincot Lands, he forms part of a sales team that includes fieldsmen Andrew and Philip Cook and is looking forward to providing a first-class service to clients.
- Richard Gardiner has become a fieldsman with responsibility for outside canvassing, giving advice to farmers on the best ways of placing their stock and generally promoting the company.
- Reserve placing in the native breeds went to Mule Wether lamb entries from Andrew Fisher of Pateley Bridge, a fieldsman for Craven Cattle Marts.
Words that rhyme with fieldsmanfieldsmen
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: fields|man
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.