Definition of fifteen in English:
1Equivalent to the product of three and five; one more than fourteen, or five more than ten; 15: all fifteen bedrooms have private facilities fifteen feet high fifteen of Howard’s troops were killed (Roman numeral: xv or XV)
More example sentences
- It takes five to fifteen times as much ginseng as aspirin or caffeine to produce toxicity in animals.
- Four plus five plus three plus fifteen is less than 40; what happened to the other inmates?
- Fourteen and fifteen seem to be as good as any at the moment.
1.2Fifteen years old: she must be fifteen by now
More example sentences
- The definition of literacy used by the government is that one must be over the age of fifteen and capable of reading and writing.
- Green's anthology was my introduction to Australian poetry at the age of fifteen or so, and for me it was love at first sight.
- One in three New Zealanders aged fifteen and over has no qualification.
1.3A team of fifteen players, especially in rugby.
- On a personal note I was disappointed at the poor representation of players on the starting fifteen.
- Both players on the starting fifteen made a major contribution to the success.
- The affiliations committee felt the club's first team are too strong for the intermediate grade where all the other seven teams are second fifteens.
- Used with reference to a brief period of fame enjoyed by an ordinary person.[from a remark made by Andy Warhol in 1968, predicting that in the future, everyone would be ‘world famous for fifteen minutes’]Example sentences
- Sole survivors rarely enjoy their fifteen minutes of fame, particularly when their work covers an obscure escape.
- He afforded everyone their fifteen minutes of fame.
- It was (one of) my fifteen minutes of fame, and I still get a thrill seeing my name up there, even if no-one else has a clue who I am or what I did.
Words that rhyme with fifteenAberdeen, Amin, aquamarine, baleen, bean, been, beguine, Benin, between, canteen, careen, Claudine, clean, contravene, convene, cuisine, dean, Dene, e'en, eighteen, fascine, fedayeen, figurine, foreseen, fourteen, Francine, gean, gene, glean, gombeen, green, Greene, Halloween, intervene, Janine, Jean, Jeannine, Jolene, Kean, keen, Keene, Ladin, langoustine, latrine, lean, limousine, machine, Maclean, magazine, Malines, margarine, marine, Mascarene, Massine, Maxine, mean, Medellín, mesne, mien, Moline, moreen, mujahedin, Nadine, nankeen, Nazarene, Nene, nineteen, nougatine, obscene, palanquin, peen, poteen, preen, quean, Rabin, Racine, ramin, ravine, routine, Sabine, saltine, sardine, sarin, sateen, scene, screen, seen, serene, seventeen, shagreen, shebeen, sheen, sixteen, spleen, spring-clean, squireen, Steen, submarine, supervene, tambourine, tangerine, teen, terrine, thirteen, transmarine, treen, tureen, Tyrrhene, ultramarine, umpteen, velveteen, wean, ween, Wheen, yean
Definition of fifteen in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan