1 Ballet A posture in which the feet are placed turned outwards, one immediately in front of but touching the other so that the toe of the back foot just protrudes beyond the heel of the front foot.
- Starting in fifth position croisé right foot front, the dancer can do glissade forward and assemble front, then glissade back and assemble back.
- The working heel comes forward, aiming for the floor in front of the big toe of the supporting foot as the working foot slides into fifth position without passing through demi-pointe.
- The second time around, the girl closed her feet in a very tight fifth position.
1.1A position of the arms in which they are held curved in front of the body, at hip level, waist level, or above the head, with the palms facing the body.
- To dancers practicing turns he whips off four pirouettes landing in a perfect fifth position.
- When they aim for a perfect fifth position, they can rotate the femur partly out of the hip socket.
- It was thrilling to see her finish each turn in the air precisely in a perfect fifth position.
2 Music A position of the left hand on the fingerboard of a stringed instrument nearer to the bridge than the fourth position, enabling a higher set of notes to be played.
- Easy Songs for Shifting in the First Five Positions introduces students to the second, third, fourth and fifth positions through a series of short, easily learned melodies without the need for difficult étude studies.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: fifth pos|ition
Definition of fifth position in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.