- 1 Ballet A posture in which the feet are placed turned outwards, one immediately in front of but touching the other so that the toe of the back foot just protrudes beyond the heel of the front foot.More example sentences
- Starting in fifth position croisé right foot front, the dancer can do glissade forward and assemble front, then glissade back and assemble back.
- The working heel comes forward, aiming for the floor in front of the big toe of the supporting foot as the working foot slides into fifth position without passing through demi-pointe.
- The second time around, the girl closed her feet in a very tight fifth position.
- 1.1A position of the arms in which they are held curved in front of the body, at hip level, waist level, or above the head, with the palms facing the body.More example sentences
- To dancers practicing turns he whips off four pirouettes landing in a perfect fifth position.
- When they aim for a perfect fifth position, they can rotate the femur partly out of the hip socket.
- It was thrilling to see her finish each turn in the air precisely in a perfect fifth position.
- 2 Music A position of the left hand on the fingerboard of a stringed instrument nearer to the bridge than the fourth position, enabling a higher set of notes to be played.More example sentences
- Easy Songs for Shifting in the First Five Positions introduces students to the second, third, fourth and fifth positions through a series of short, easily learned melodies without the need for difficult étude studies.
More definitions of fifth positionDefinition of fifth position in:
- The US English dictionary