Definition of fifth wheel in English:
nounchiefly North American
1An extra wheel for a four-wheeled vehicle.
- Mann adds that a sliding fifth wheel helps drivers get into tight places.
- And while you're driving, why don't you give a thought and a thanks to those nameless engineers and designers who have devoted so much attention to this most important fifth wheel.
1.1 informal A superfluous person or thing.
- Though they tried to include me in their activities I generally declined their invitations not wanting to be a third wheel or a fifth wheel or a seventh wheel.
- I was now the fifth wheel, and I hated being the fifth wheel.
- I grew tired of being the fifth wheel so I got up and went into my room to study.
2.1 (also fifth-wheel trailer) A trailer with accommodation for camping out.
- We'd buy a large pickup truck and a fifth-wheel trailer and would travel the United States indefinitely - a retirement many couples enjoy immensely.
- On the other hand, my parents own a fifth-wheel trailer.
- In February 2003, my wife and I began our year as usual by hooking up our fifth-wheel trailer and travelling south for some winter sun.
Definition of fifth wheel in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan