adjective[attributive] Psychology & Art
- Relating to or denoting the perception of images by the distinction of objects from a background from which they appear to stand out, especially in contexts where this distinction is ambiguous: the figure-ground phenomenonMore example sentences
- Visual design should be informed by a consideration of the Laws of Perception, including figure-ground contrast, simplicity, proximity, similarity, symmetry and closure.
- Although they vary widely in color, touch and composition, most of the paintings feature surfaces completely activated with marks and patterns, so that traditional figure-ground relationships are minimized or eliminated.
- The figure-ground relationship here is unstable, with the sleek blue forms sometimes reading as the positive shape against the negative green ground, while at other times the relationship is reversed.
More definitions of figure-groundDefinition of figure-ground in:
- The US English dictionary