- A word or phrase used in a non-literal sense for rhetorical or vivid effect.More example sentences
- If anything is missing from her far-reaching analyses it is a sense of how recurring figures of speech effect the desire and response of readers.
- Images are often presented through figures of speech like simile and metaphor.
- Poetry is language that makes abundant use of figures of speech and language that aims to be powerfully persuasive.
More definitions of figure of speechDefinition of figure of speech in:
- The US English dictionary