Definition of figurehead in English:
1A carving, typically a bust or a full-length figure, set at the prow of an old-fashioned sailing ship.
- The incomers were principally craftsmen, carving ships' figureheads and occasional portrait busts.
- She reached the anchored ship and recognized the figurehead upon its prow.
- Some boats are shown with cabins, prows and figureheads and some carry animals.
2A nominal leader or head without real power.
- The highest official is the prime minister, and the president is a figurehead with no real power.
- We don't want bosses, figureheads or exalted leaders.
- If the argument is that the sovereign is largely a figurehead with little real possibility of doing harm, then let's pick one of our own.
Words that rhyme with figureheadgo-ahead • dunderhead
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.