Definition of figurehead in English:
1A carving, typically a bust or a full-length figure, set at the prow of an old-fashioned sailing ship.
- The incomers were principally craftsmen, carving ships' figureheads and occasional portrait busts.
- She reached the anchored ship and recognized the figurehead upon its prow.
- Some boats are shown with cabins, prows and figureheads and some carry animals.
2A nominal leader or head without real power.
- The highest official is the prime minister, and the president is a figurehead with no real power.
- We don't want bosses, figureheads or exalted leaders.
- If the argument is that the sovereign is largely a figurehead with little real possibility of doing harm, then let's pick one of our own.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan