1.1 [mass noun] A substance used for filling cracks or holes in a surface, especially before painting it: wood filler
More example sentences
- He conceded that without such filler and with weep holes, air could come into the building and might affect the heating.
- For deeper damaged areas, apply wood filler with a putty knife and sand level when it dries hard.
- As in the case of epoxy, the impact of these changes can be minimized if designers avoid using solder as filler between surfaces, but few designs take advantage of this approach.
1.2 [mass noun] Material used to fill a cavity or increase bulk: foam filler
More example sentences
- Like before, we'll need to fill in the pit with some filler material.
- Once there, he'll tug out the ceramic fabric filler with his gloved hands.
- This is why you should mix the seeds with some sort of filler material before you start, so you have plenty of volume to work with, and will be able to cover the area completely and evenly.
1.3An item serving only to fill space or time in a newspaper, broadcast, or recording.
- I also recognize that columnists using children as space filler is a time-honored journalistic practice.
- When I got to the the short pieces, I unwisely assumed them as fillers to get the record up to a realistic duration for a CD.
- It has laughs, gripping stories, various space fillers, and a few puzzles.
1.4A word or sound filling a pause in an utterance or conversation (e.g. er, well, you know).
- English speakers tend to fill pauses in our speech with ‘um’ and ‘er,’ but speakers of other languages use different filler sounds.
- Using the same twenty seven words interspersed with filler noises such as ‘like’ and ‘you know’ is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication.
- Coherence and a smooth flow of supporting quotations were achieved by omitting filler words.
Words that rhyme with fillerAnguilla, Aquila, Attila, Camilla, cedilla, chiller, chinchilla, driller, Drusilla, fibrillar, flotilla, fulfiller, Godzilla, gorilla, griller, guerrilla, killer, Manila, manilla, mantilla, miller, pillar, Priscilla, sapodilla, sarsaparilla, Schiller, scilla, scintilla, spiller, swiller, thriller, tiller, vanilla, vexilla, villa, Willa, willer, zorilla
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan