A small fern of damp shady places, with wiry creeping stems and delicate forked fronds which are only one cell thick. They occur chiefly in tropical and subtropical regions.
- Family Hymenophyllaceae: Hymenophyllum and other genera
More example sentences
- Everything about it is supremely delicate, from the filmy fern leaves to the masses of mauve bell flowers with dangling pale gold anthers that hover over the garden like a pale mist in August.
- There are filmy ferns, and more jagged ferns, ferns which look like moss, and the stumpy Mexican tree fern which never grows very tall.
- Because of this high level of humidity, thick, lush mosses also thrive in the filmy fern house.
Definition of filmy fern in:
- The US English dictionary