Definition of fin de siècle in English:
1Relating to or characteristic of the end of a century, especially the 19th century: fin-de-siècle art
More example sentences
- He, of course, can and will do just that with the release of his fin-de-siècle modernist musical fantasia Moulin Rouge.
- Mark Micale, certainly one of the best and most insightful writers on this period of the development of these fields in science, has now produced a truly valuable volume on the way that the arts and sciences of the fin-de-siècle interacted.
- It seems like the artist has left behind the walkways of everyday life to be reunited with a fin-de-siècle symbolism, not without taking a detour through the surrealists or a stop in the limitless territories of Marcel Broodthaers.
1.1Decadent: there was a fin-de-siècle air in London’s clubland last night
More example sentences
- Translucent orange Starck pieces stand next to pink fin-de-siècle armchairs, with cheeky, punched-through dividers offering an air of privacy in some corners.
- A boom late in the decade promoted a rash of extravagant pubs, and of theatres and music halls, a type dominated nationally by Frank Matcham, whose buildings gainsaid fin-de-siècle effeteness with a thumping heartiness.
- I fear an indefinite and incoherent prolongation of a fin-de-siècle jurisprudence, where the court serves as nothing more than an ad hoc arbiter of issues it finds too difficult to decide in a principled way.
nounBack to top
The end of a century, especially the 19th century.
- Their beautiful and strange visions of an inner dream world were the last manifestations of Romanticism, appealing to a public looking for escapism and a renewal of spirituality at the fin de siècle.
- To find out why Romantic poets - such as Blake, Coleridge, and Wordsworth - were so fascinated by the apocalypse around an earlier fin de siècle, check out Norton's very comprehensive overview.
- Melissa Purdue is a PhD candidate at the University of Kentucky where she is working on her dissertation on ‘New Woman’ authors at the fin de siècle.
French, 'end of century'.
Words that rhyme with fin de siècleHekla
Definition of fin de siècle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.