- A large rorqual with a small dorsal fin, a dark grey back, and white underparts. Also called finback, common rorqual.
More example sentences
- Balaenoptera physalus, family Balaenopteridae
- And farther down the coast, just south of the Scottish capital of Edinburgh, whale-watchers spotted a fin whale - the first such sighting in over a hundred years.
- An adult fin whale may consume one to one and a half metric tons of food per day, feeding mainly on krill and occasionally herring.
- After the biggest whales were hunted to the point that they were too hard to find, the whalers went on to the next largest species, the fin whale.
More definitions of fin whaleDefinition of fin whale in:
- The US English dictionary