The doctrine that natural processes, for example evolution, are directed towards some goal.
- However, Bergson continues, the teleological approach of traditional finalism equally makes genuine creation of the new impossible, since it entails, just as mechanism, that the ‘whole is given.’
- The adoption of a similar epistemology would be disruptive for historiographies that are characterized by a strong sense of finalism.
- But radical finalism is quite as unacceptable, and for the same reason.
- Example sentences
- A taxonomy of social cognitions is suggested comprising three classes: causal, evaluative and finalistic thinking.
- During this period of time no serious and efficacious attempt of finalistic therapy is put into practice.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.