A seed-eating songbird that typically has a stout bill and colourful plumage.
- The true finches belong to the family Fringillidae (the finch family), which includes chaffinches, canaries, linnets, crossbills, etc. Many other finches belong to the bunting, waxbill, or sparrow families
More example sentences
- Finches get bigger, fish gets smaller, but a finch is still a finch and a fish is still a fish.
- Their bills are slimmer than those of most finches.
- Sometimes they are called Painted finches, or Rainbow finches.
Old English finc, of West Germanic origin; related to Dutch vink and German Fink.
Definition of finch in:
- The US English dictionary