1The composition of an object, substance, or energy phenomenon as viewed on a small scale and in considerable detail.
- It has been suggested that fractals share the following features: fine structure, i.e. detail at arbitrarily small scales; great irregularity; and self similarity i.e. similar forms are repeated at various scales.
- With the very rapid advances in equipment, and particularly in computer technology, our knowledge of the details of the fine structure and workings of the Earth's interior has improved greatly since the 1980s.
- These definitions are that a fractal structure has a fine structure, is too irregular to be precisely described with Euclidean geometry, exhibits self-similarity.
1.1 Physics The presence of groups of closely spaced lines in spectra corresponding to slightly different energy levels.
- This fine structure is clearly manifested in the PE spectra.
- A tailored diffuser that spreads the flux over a small range of angles can remove fine structure.
- No fine structure is seen along the circumference of reflections.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: fine struc|ture
Definition of fine structure in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.