- A flat or roughly flat strip on the neck of a stringed instrument, against which the strings are pressed to shorten the vibrating length and produce notes of higher pitches.More example sentences
- The archlute and the chitarrone or theorbo had, in addition to the strings on the fingerboard, open bass strings on an extended neck with a second pegbox.
- This huge instrument - played by a system of moveable keys pressing the strings on the fingerboard, activated by levers and pedals - in fact only sounded a mere octave lower than the cello.
- Pitch is determined by sliding the fingernail against the string rather than pressing it against a fingerboard (like violin).
More definitions of fingerboardDefinition of fingerboard in:
- The US English dictionary