Definition of fingerhold in English:
1A small indentation or projection where a person can lodge a finger to support themselves.
- A thought-provoking reach from a sharp fingerhold on the roof's lip gains a strenuous and exposed upper wall.
- Progress was painfully slow: they had to test every fingerhold before they dared trust it with their weight.
- She could not believe that the goats could climb so steep an incline so nimbly, when she was barely able to find a fingerhold in the rock.
1.1A tenuous grasp on something: the script gives her no more than a fingerhold on the story the final fingerhold on fame
More example sentences
- Her sole fingerhold on the network, her Sunday show, is going to be taken over by Letitia.
- The hope is that the numbers can be crunched in some direction which will offer enough of a fingerhold to justify a decision.
- The extent to which beliefs can be modified by doubt gives me a bit of a fingerhold onto how beliefs can be chosen by dint of one's will.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.