Definition of fingerhold in English:
1A small indentation or projection where a person can lodge a finger to support themselves.
- He's one of those movie actors that can bite nails in two and climb up the side of a church with only a fingerhold.
- She could not believe that the goats could climb so steep an incline so nimbly, when she was barely able to find a fingerhold in the rock.
- She scrambled frantically at the rock with her left, found a fingerhold and dangled precariously over a vertical drop.
1.1A tenuous grasp on something: the script gives her no more than a fingerhold on the story the final fingerhold on fame
More example sentences
- He stated that the Vote is little more than a fingerhold on democracy.
- The earliest settlers had little time for aesthetic pursuits during their first decades of hewing out a tenuous fingerhold on the North American mainland.
- The extent to which beliefs can be modified by doubt gives me a bit of a fingerhold onto how beliefs can be chosen by dint of one's will.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.