Definition of finite in English:
1Limited in size or extent: every computer has a finite amount of memory
More example sentences
- On another, more important level, the book is about Levin's research in cosmology, and her idea that the universe may be finite in size.
- In this era of limited resources and finite health - care budgets, it is important to assess not just clinical effectiveness but also cost effectiveness.
- We know, that a single universe is enormously large, but always finite in size due to its Big-Bang origin.
2 Grammar (Of a verb form) having a specific tense, number, and person.
- In English, tense must be expressed in all finite verb phrases.
- A temporal profile needs to be contributed by a finite verb, as in I walked into the garden, We drove towards the sea.
- Form a question and make it specific and finite so that the answer is easily recognizable.
- Example sentences
- When laboratory subjects are not allowed to communicate, their behavior closely approximates the behavior that is predicted using finitely repeated, non-cooperative game theory.
- Euclid's geometry is an example of a finitely axiomatized theory: it involves a fixed number of proper axioms (together with a few definitions and general principles).
- He only accepted mathematical objects that could be constructed finitely from the intuitively given set of natural numbers.
- Example sentences
- Yet under the storms of insignificant daily struggles, we lose sight of the finiteness and fragility of our own existence, one with which we were never comfortable from the moment we came squalling out of the womb.
- Indeed, economic discussion during the last part of the 20th century included a sharp debate about whether the finiteness of natural resource availability imposed a serious limitation on economic growth and development.
- In fact, determined efforts by many physicists and mathematicians over a period of more than 20 years have failed to produce a proof of the finiteness or consistency of string theory.
Words that rhyme with finitetransfinite
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.