(also finnan haddock)
- Haddock cured with the smoke of green wood, turf, or peat.More example sentences
- One fine and comforting dish that The Cellar has had on the menu for aeons is the omelette filled with creamy finnan haddock, which R ordered with the canny eye you'd expect from the former harbour master of Crail.
- While fellow guests at table 10 relished warm finnan haddock and roast saddle of lamb, Simpson was growing hot under his tuxedo.
- Alistair started off with west coast lobster bisque with white wine, saffron and cognac, while I went for the finnan haddock and lobster risotto with smoked salmon cream and poached egg.
early 18th century: alteration of Findon, the name of a fishing village near Aberdeen in Scotland, but sometimes confused with the Scottish river and village of Findhorn.
More definitions of finnanDefinition of finnan in:
- The US English dictionary