- A colonial coral-like hydrozoan, the heavy external skeleton of which forms reefs. The polyps bear nematocysts which can inflict painful stings.
More example sentences
- Genus Millepora, order Hydroida (or Milleporina), class Hydrozoa
- We had to be careful not to touch the fire coral as it has a very painful sting on contact.
- By 10m the large corals and sponges give way to the clean lines of old volcanic rock, on closer inspection encrusted with patches of fire coral, sponges and star corals.
- This area showed numbers of plankton-feeding fish and large areas of fire coral, reflecting the extent of prevailing currents over this reef.
More definitions of fire coralDefinition of fire coral in:
- The US English dictionary