Definition of fire hose in English:
1A broad hosepipe used in extinguishing fires.
- Attempts were made to extinguish the flames with a fire hose from an adjacent building, but to no avail.
- The fire was extinguished by nine firefighters who used a fire hose and breathing apparatus to extinguish the flames.
- There was some kind of hose on the side of the building, possibly a fire hose, I'm not really sure, and some of the students turned the hose on and aimed it at the approaching police.
1.1 (usually firehose) Computing An unfiltered, real-time stream of data produced by a social media website or other online service: two companies with access to Twitter’s firehose of tweets
More example sentences
- The platform provides analytics companies with access to its data firehose.
- Understanding the deluge of data that comes from Twitter's firehose is no simple task.
- What's better: curated streams or real-time firehoses?
Definition of fire hose in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia