Definition of fire hose in English:
1A broad hosepipe used in extinguishing fires.
- Attempts were made to extinguish the flames with a fire hose from an adjacent building, but to no avail.
- The fire was extinguished by nine firefighters who used a fire hose and breathing apparatus to extinguish the flames.
- There was some kind of hose on the side of the building, possibly a fire hose, I'm not really sure, and some of the students turned the hose on and aimed it at the approaching police.
1.1 (usually firehose) Computing An unfiltered, real-time stream of data produced by a social media website or other online service: two companies with access to Twitter’s firehose of tweets
More example sentences
- The platform provides analytics companies with access to its data firehose.
- Understanding the deluge of data that comes from Twitter's firehose is no simple task.
- What's better: curated streams or real-time firehoses?
Definition of fire hose in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.