Definition of fire hose in English:
1A broad hosepipe used in extinguishing fires.
- Attempts were made to extinguish the flames with a fire hose from an adjacent building, but to no avail.
- The fire was extinguished by nine firefighters who used a fire hose and breathing apparatus to extinguish the flames.
- There was some kind of hose on the side of the building, possibly a fire hose, I'm not really sure, and some of the students turned the hose on and aimed it at the approaching police.
1.1 (usually firehose) Computing An unfiltered, real-time stream of data produced by a social media website or other online service: two companies with access to Twitter’s firehose of tweets
More example sentences
- The e-mail firehose has been shut down.
- Many marketers will send unsolicited e-mails, while the people at the other end of the firehose - ISPs, e-mail providers, receiving companies, and individual users - pay the costs.
- The platform provides analytics companies with access to its data firehose.
Definition of fire hose in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.