Definition of fire sale in English:
1A sale of goods remaining after the destruction of commercial premises by fire.
- Thanks to a fire sale at his local public library in Weston, Massachusetts, he picked up several books by J. Edgar Hoover and Whittaker Chambers on the communist threat.
- Mr Cort said: ‘There's always a bargain to be had at a fire sale and this will be no different.’
- There are reports the damaged goods were originally intended for a local fire sale.
1.1A sale of goods or assets at a very low price, typically when the seller is facing bankruptcy.
- Why was no effort made to seek community comment on Council's intention to flog off assets at fire sale prices?
- He was quick to say that the company would not engage in a fire sale of the assets.
- Any move to put the hotel group into administration would be drastic as it would mean a fire sale of prime assets at a time when they could not be guaranteed to reach high prices.
Definition of fire sale in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia