1A sale of goods remaining after the destruction of commercial premises by fire.
- Thanks to a fire sale at his local public library in Weston, Massachusetts, he picked up several books by J. Edgar Hoover and Whittaker Chambers on the communist threat.
- Mr Cort said: ‘There's always a bargain to be had at a fire sale and this will be no different.’
- There are reports the damaged goods were originally intended for a local fire sale.
1.1A sale of goods or assets at a very low price, typically when the seller is facing bankruptcy.
- Why was no effort made to seek community comment on Council's intention to flog off assets at fire sale prices?
- He was quick to say that the company would not engage in a fire sale of the assets.
- Any move to put the hotel group into administration would be drastic as it would mean a fire sale of prime assets at a time when they could not be guaranteed to reach high prices.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: fire sale
Definition of fire sale in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.