Definition of firefish in English:
noun (plural same or firefishes)
1A scorpionfish with venomous spines.
- Genera Pterois and Dendrochirus, family Scorpaenidae
- He might similarly be discommoded by firefish, I continued, which are easier to spot but no less hurtful.
- Firefishes have numerous small teeth that occur in clusters on the upper and lower jaws.
- The firefish is feared by marine creatures and humans alike, due to its poisonous dorsal spines.
2A pink- or red-coloured fish related to the wormfishes.
- Subfamily Ptereleotrinae, family Microdesmidae
- Exotic juvenile fish such as firefish can be found in Camp Cove each year, but they rarely make it through Sydney's chilly winter waters.
- The Firefish is one of the more popular fish in the marine hobby.
- I was wondering if anyone has had any success with schools of fire fish.