Definition of fireguard in English:
1A protective screen or grid placed in front of an open fire.
- Make sure open fires have a suitable fireguard and are safe to leave.
- If you have a fireplace, get a proper fireguard to put in front of it - those of you with children already crawling will know how fast they can move.
- Almost half of parents with an open, gas or electric fire did not have a fireguard, while 44% had not put locks on kitchen cupboard doors.
2North American A firebreak in a forest.
- The 300 ha Buckingham thinned for the project included a ‘priority one’ area that required a 30 metre wide clearcut in the middle of the fireguard.
- Other shots revealed the futile efforts of firefighters as they built fireguards or dropped plane-loads of water and fire retardant on a natural force out of control.
- To expand the fireguard, a 2 km wide stretch of forest was burned south into Kootenay National Park.
Words that rhyme with fireguardKierkegaard • diehard
Definition of fireguard in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan