Definition of fireman in English:
noun (plural firemen)
1A male firefighter.
- Staggering house prices are forcing qualified teachers, nurses, firemen and police officers to leave the borough because they cannot afford to buy in the area.
- How much does it cost to clean up ten fatal road crashes every day, and how many emergency workers - police, paramedics, firemen, doctors and nurses - are involved?
- Each year, firemen, forestry workers, civilians, Gardaí and sometimes soldiers are deployed for long periods in bringing outbreaks under control.
2A person who tends a furnace or the fire of a steam engine or steamship.
- At least you found his machinery and equipment and the fireman building up his fire and steam for the heavy draw to come; but he was by himself.
- On the St Clair Avenue side of the yards, there is an old house, now used by the locomotive department as a bunk house for the locomotive drivers and firemen.
- Both the engineer and fireman of the train were killed instantly in the overturning of the giant locomotive.
Definition of fireman in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia