1 Medicine Denoting burns that affect only the surface of the skin and cause reddening.
- The corpsman said that a small third-degree burn might be difficult to recognize if it is located in an area of second- or even first-degree burn skin damage.
- Thin or superficial burns (also called first-degree burns) are red and painful.
- Scarring from first-degree burns and light second-degree burns may disappear within a few months.
2 Law , chiefly North American Denoting the most serious category of a crime, especially murder: he was convicted of first-degree murder
More example sentences
- He was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to death.
- Pennsylvania was the first U.S. state to abolish capital punishment for all crimes except first-degree murder.
- I decided to present this case through a Broward County grand jury and they indicted him for first-degree murder as an adult.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: first-degree
Definition of first-degree in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.