Definition of first fruits in English:
1The first agricultural produce of a season, especially when given as an offering to God.
- The offering of first fruits, for example, represents a unique rite of gratitude for the Lord's bounty that finds no parallel in the whole of the Christian Scriptures.
- The Feast of the first fruits was a harvest festival.
- In the days when the Temple still stood in Jerusalem, the sixth of Sivan was the time when pilgrims brought offerings of the first fruits of their harvest, the seven species for which the Land of Israel is praised.
1.1The initial results of an enterprise or endeavour: the first fruits of the companies' collaboration
More example sentences
- These will be the first US troops to march on to former Soviet soil since the end of the Second World War and they represent the first fruits of the diplomatic initiative to bring Russia into Washington's orbit.
- Juliet Fleming's richly suggestive study of Graffiti and the Writing Arts of Early Modern England was one of the first fruits of that initiative; Books and Readers in Early Modern England is another.
- The season presents the first fruits of the new writers-in-residence programme, with four new plays - including two specially commissioned for the Finborough Theatre.
Definition of first fruits in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.