- 1The lowest in a set of gears on a vehicle, used when travelling very slowly.More example sentences
- But attempt a steep hill and you will be forced to drop down through the six-speed manual gearbox to first gear far quicker than you might expect.
- If not, go slowly in first gear with the engine revving, as this helps to prevent stalling.
- He shifted to the first gear and the jeep rolled off the side and onto the freeway.
- 1.1Used in reference to a failure to make progress: in a scrappy first half neither team seemed to get out of first gearMore example sentences
- In a scrappy first half neither team seemed to get out of first gear.
- Hardly representative of his 12 months most of which were spent injured or persevering in first gear.
- In their second match, Navy capitalised on Air Force's slow change out of first gear with an early goal.
More definitions of first gearDefinition of first gear in:
- The US English dictionary