Definition of first gear in English:
1The lowest in a set of gears on a vehicle, used when travelling very slowly.
- But attempt a steep hill and you will be forced to drop down through the six-speed manual gearbox to first gear far quicker than you might expect.
- If not, go slowly in first gear with the engine revving, as this helps to prevent stalling.
- He shifted to the first gear and the jeep rolled off the side and onto the freeway.
1.1Used in reference to a failure to make progress: in a scrappy first half neither team seemed to get out of first gear
More example sentences
- In a scrappy first half neither team seemed to get out of first gear.
- Hardly representative of his 12 months most of which were spent injured or persevering in first gear.
- In their second match, Navy capitalised on Air Force's slow change out of first gear with an early goal.
Definition of first gear in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan