- 1A naval officer with executive responsibility for a ship or other command.More example sentences
- Piper, made no fewer than 39 patrols as a third hand, first lieutenant and Commanding Officer, in Ursula, Unbeaten and Unsparing.
- It was said, for example, that an engineer four-striper at Sheerness expressed interest, while visiting a submarine, in the business of submerging: he asked the first lieutenant where he got the water from to fill main ballast tanks.
- Today Jacqueline is a graduate and a first lieutenant in the Royal Navy.
- 1.1A rank of officer in the US army or air force, above second lieutenant and below captain.More example sentences
- Michael quickly rose through the ranks as orderly sergeant, first lieutenant and captain.
- He won a theatre award at Bronx Science, and after studying at New York University's old University Heights campus and spending time in the Army as a first lieutenant in the infantry, he set out for Manhattan and the world of the stage.
- Rather than drop out altogether like his fictional creation, however, he persevered in the corps, becoming a first lieutenant and second-in-command of his squadron before his discharge in 1960.
More definitions of first lieutenantDefinition of first lieutenant in:
- The US English dictionary