Definition of first officer in English:
1The first mate on a merchant ship.
- In March 2001, the first officer of the cruise ship Caledonian Star saw a wave that chilled his soul.
- The ship's first officer was asleep on his hammock, clutching something close to his chest.
- His dad, Tom, now in his eighties, started off in the Navy as an able-bodied seaman, but worked his way up to become a first officer in the Admiralty.
1.1The second in command to the captain on an aircraft.
- Plans call for hiring three captains, two first officers and three flight attendants per aircraft.
- According to post-accident interviews, neither the captain nor the first officer of those two flight legs noticed anything unusual about the airplane.
- Later he worked for Pan Am as a first officer, flight engineer and navigator.
Definition of first officer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan