Definition of fishery in English:
noun (plural fisheries)
1A place where fish are reared for commercial purposes.
- Although some stream fed commercial fisheries do contain natural fish, the fast majority are artificially stocked.
- The bluefin trevallies have commercial value for fisheries and for game fishing as well.
- So much for fish in commercial fisheries being in poor condition!
1.1A fishing ground or area where fish are caught.
- There is no catch and release allowed at the fishery and fishing must cease once the limit is reached.
- None of this will be good for the fish, the fishery, or the fishing communities of Nova Scotia.
- Accomplished anglers can move to the heart of the action in the Savage River, a tailwater fishery and catch-and-release trophy area.
1.2 [mass noun] The occupation or industry of catching or rearing fish.
- The Government argued today that shutting down Australia's profitable tuna fishery and export industry would be reckless.
- The provisions of the act do not apply to state aids extended to agriculture, fishery or the defence industry.
- The village is typical of many of those on the west coast: a small community struggling against declining fishery.
Definition of fishery in:
- US English dictionary