Definition of fishwife in English:
noun (plural fishwives)
1A coarse-mannered woman who is prone to shouting: the screech of a fishwife
More example sentences
- We speak all the time the two of us, gossiping like a couple of old fishwives.
- We went to Venice a few days later and it was full of dirty pigeons and busloads of ghastly American tourists shrieking at each other like fishwives.
- The final five minutes seem to shape the entire programme, when the two families get together and basically sling the mud like old fishwives.
2 archaic A woman who sells fish.
- ‘Monica will sell you a cooked fish!’ the fishwife boomed.
- On the quayside fishwives gut fish by hand and the catch is kippered by traditional methods.
- Sometimes their existence is recorded by artists of their day, like the Newhaven fishwives photographed by Hill and Adams in 1848.
Definition of fishwife in:
- US English dictionary