- 1(Of an atom or element) able to undergo nuclear fission: a fissile isotopeMore example sentences
- It resumed the production, and testing of uranium enrichment centrifuges that can make fissile material for nuclear reactors or weapons.
- It also is the toxic and radioactive byproduct of enriched uranium, the fissile material in nuclear weapons.
- As a general rule, however, the biggest hurdle for a would-be nuclear power is the acquisition of fissile material - enriched uranium or plutonium.
- 2(Chiefly of rock) easily split: flat-bedded and very highly fissile shaleMore example sentences
- For example, fissile slates tend to yield much flatter particles than massive granites.
- This horizon, up to 1.3 m thick, is a black, highly fissile shale.
- The fossiliferous horizons occur in greenish to greyish siltstones and brown to black fissile shales associated with mollusc shells.
mid 17th century (in the sense 'easily split'): from Latin fissilis, from fiss- 'split, cracked', from the verb findere.
More definitions of fissileDefinition of fissile in:
- The US English dictionary