• informal, chiefly US
- A gesture of triumph or affirmation in which the forearm is raised with fist clenched, then swung downward toward the body in a vigorous pumping motion: his 25-foot birdie was greeted with fist pumps and high fivesMore example sentences
- He underlines this sentiment with a few fist pumps in the air.
- There's no fist pumps or head hanging.
- When I was younger I used to do a lot of fist pumps.
verb(fist-pump) [no object] Back to top
- Swing one’s clenched fist and raised forearm downward toward the body in a vigorous pumping motion as a gesture of triumph or affirmation: ‘Yes!’ Rachel yelped and fist-pumped from behind her laptop [with object]: if that were the case, we’d be fist-pumping the air in delightMore example sentences
- I hoot and holler and fist-pump.
- Given time, and several pairs of trainers he will surely fist pump his way to a major trophy before long.
More definitions of fist pumpDefinition of fist pump in:
- The US English dictionary