- 1The condition of being physically fit and healthy: disease and lack of fitness are closely related [as modifier]: a fitness testMore example sentences
health, strength, robustness, sturdiness, hardiness, vigour, lustiness, stalwartness; athleticism, toughness, ruggedness, physical fitness, muscularity, tone; good health, good condition, good shape, well-being; state of health, condition, shape, trim, fettle• informal huskinessBritish • informal nick
- The aim of exercise is to achieve a beneficial level of fitness and health, physically and mentally.
- The site features a variety of fitness and health tests.
- Physical fitness and health is the main preoccupation of young women today.
- 1.1 Biology An organism’s ability to survive and reproduce in a particular environment: if sharp teeth increase fitness, then genes causing teeth to be sharp will increase in frequencyMore example sentences
- The differential fitnesses are weighted averages of phenotype fitnesses.
- We predict the relative fitnesses of hybrid genotypes by calculating the expected numbers of each type of incompatibility.
- We assume that the relative fitnesses of these genotypes remain constant.
- 2 (fitness for/to do) The quality of being suitable to fulfil a particular role or task: the medical board assessed his fitness for active serviceMore example sentences
- Spotting a leather armchair, he walks around it a few times, as if checking its fitness for the task ahead.
- A dispute arose as to the quality and fitness for purpose of the machines.
- To keep the pressure off, however, she won't go public with more detail until she is certain of her fitness for each.