(also five-and-dime store or five-and-ten)
1North American A shop selling a wide variety of inexpensive household and personal goods.
- ‘After I opened, the theater, the hardware store, the five-and-dime, and the restaurant all closed,’ she says.
- The building, at 151-153 Main Street, was formerly a five-and-dime store.
- Noted children's book author/artist Demi became curious about Buddhism at the age of 3, when she bought a statue of Buddha at a five-and-dime store.
1.1 historical A shop where all the articles were priced at five or ten cents.
- Today's dollar store is a five-and-dime shop, adjusted for inflation.
- Once called five-and-dimes, they've been doing business continuously for many, many decades.
Definition of five-and-dime in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.