noun (plural flamingos or flamingoes)
A tall wading bird with mainly pink or scarlet plumage and long legs and neck. It has a heavy bent bill that is held upside down in the water in order to filter-feed on small organisms.
- Family Phoenicopteridae: three genera and four species, in particular the greater flamingo (Phoenicopterus ruber)
More example sentences
- These include ostriches, macaws, toucans, flamingos, storks and cranes.
- Wetlands are a lure for geese, swans, ducks, egrets, storks, herons and the icon of the Camargue, the pink flamingo.
- The islands are home to many bird species, including fish eagles, ospreys and flamingos.
Definition of flamingo in:
- The US English dictionary