- 1A baked dish consisting of an open-topped pastry case with a savoury or sweet filling: an egg and bacon flan [as modifier]: a fluted flan tinMore example sentences
- Slide the baking sheet into the oven and bake the flan for one hour, or until the filling is puffed and golden and just jiggles in the center when you tap the pan.
- It is the classic pastry for flans and often has a little sugar, even when used for savoury dishes, but rarely egg.
- The pastry crusts were not only as part of the dish, pies and flans would be moulded and decorated with flower heads in season.
mid 19th century: from French (originally denoting a round cake) from Old French flaon, from medieval Latin flado, fladon-, of West Germanic origin; related to Dutch vlade 'custard'.
More definitions of flanDefinition of flan in:
- The US English dictionary