- A strip of metal used to stop water penetrating the junction of a roof with another surface: flashings around chimneys [mass noun]: the lead flashing on the roofMore example sentences
- The trapped water may accumulate to levels higher than the roof flashings, resulting in water leaks.
- Site-built or factory-supplied flashings are used to seal the roofing around the curb.
- It was also used for roof flashings and weights for scales.
late 18th century: from the earlier synonym flash (of unknown origin) + -ing1.
More definitions of flashingDefinition of flashing in:
- The US English dictionary