Definition of flat-top in English:
1A man’s hairstyle in which the hair is cropped short so that it bristles up into a flat surface.
- The two younger tattooists are both short and wide with flat-tops.
- Apparently Pop is sold on growing his hair out from the flattop we're all used to, into some kind of feathered, curling-in-the-back thing.
- A flat-top modified by blow-dried wings of hair is a good start.
2An acoustic guitar that has a flat rather than a curved front.
- J-200 is the model number of the Gibson acoustic guitar known as âthe king of the flat-topsâ.
- There had been electrified flat-tops since the 1950s, such as Gibson's CF-100E and J-160E or Martin's D-18E and D-28E, but these had conventional electric guitar pickups installed on an acoustic guitar.
- No fan of flat-top guitar picking should be without this one in their collection.
3US informal An aircraft carrier.
- One of the flat-tops is always ready for front-line deployment, and that task currently falls to HMS Invincible, while a second can be swiftly reactivated - which is where the Ark stands.
- The aircraft carrier Harry S Truman, the newest operational flattop in the U.S. fleet, sailed this morning from Norfolk, Virginia.
- Later that day, other enlisted radiomen/gunners helped even the score, protecting their dive-bomber pilots as they wiped out the enemy carrier force, sinking all four Japanese flattops.
Definition of flat-top in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia