Definition of flathead in English:
1An edible tropical marine fish that has a pointed flattened head with the eyes positioned on the top, typically burrowing in the seabed with just the eyes showing.
- Family Platycephalidae: several genera and species
- Squid, cuttlefish, boxfish, stingrays and flatheads can be found among the rocky sections.
- The odd flathead with juvenile bream are being caught in the rivers.
- In this area, commercial fishermen will not be able to target recreational species such as whiting, bream, flathead and mulloway.
2 (Flathead) A member of certain North American Indian peoples such as the Chinook, Choctaw, and Salish, named from their supposed practice of flattening their children’s heads artificially.
- By the mid-nineteenth century, they had pushed their enemies, particularly the Shoshone, Flathead, and Kootenai, west across the Rocky Mountains.
- In 1875 destitute bands of Flatheads and Pend d' Oreilles were pressing into Blackfeet territory.
- Flathead chief Victor refused to move his band from the Bitterroot Valley, the ancestral homeland of the Flatheads.
3 [as modifier] US (Of an engine) having the valves and spark plugs in the cylinder block rather than the cylinder head, which is essentially a flat plate.
- I have a '50 Ford pickup with a blown flathead in it.
- It had the doors welded shut and the roof cut off, and it was powered by a stock flathead.
4 [as modifier] US (Of a screw) countersunk.
- The unit has a base stand attached to it that can be removed via a single flathead screw.
- To clean the wheels, grab a small flathead screw driver (the real small ones) and chisel the dirt off.
- With a small flathead screwdriver, gently pry the drive free.
Definition of flathead in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan