- 1Showing little interest or emotion: ‘You’d better go’ she said flatlyMore example sentences
- He said it flatly, without emotion, but a muscle ticked in one side of his jaw.
- ‘I never had any interest in lecturing,’ he says flatly.
- The camera focuses again on the officials who continue reading at great length but flatly, bureaucratically, without interest.
- 2In a firm and unequivocal manner; absolutely: they flatly refused to playMore example sentences
- The department would also act as underwriter for people who are flatly refused cover by private firms.
- The law firm flatly dismisses this.
- Many auto operators flatly refuse to go to certain places.
- 3In a smooth and even way: I applied the paint flatlyMore example sentences
- The 21 works shown here range in scale and medium from her signature cabinet-size egg temperas on panel to larger, flatly painted oils on canvas, which are the most recent.
- When I first saw the show, I was most excited about the bravura Red Highrise, but on returning, I grew more intrigued with other, more flatly painted works.
- Featuring many flatly painted coats of variously toned acrylic, Roberts' delicate grayish fields evoke shifts and gradations of dawn or evening light.
More definitions of flatlyDefinition of flatly in:
- The US English dictionary