- 1Full of praise and compliments: the article began with some flattering words about usMore example sentences
complimentary, praising, favourable, commending, admiring, applauding, appreciative; honeyed, sugary, cajoling, flannelling, blarneying, silver-tongued, honey-tongued; fawning, obsequious, ingratiating, servile, sycophantic, unctuous, oleaginous, oily
- A Kendal primary school is basking in the warm glow of enthusiastic praise after receiving a flattering report from the judges of a training and development award.
- All the compliments are very flattering, but it's kind of embarrassing!
- Cara found this more flattering than any compliment.
- 1.1Pleasing or gratifying: [with infinitive]: it was flattering to have a pretty girl like Fiona so obviously fond of him
- 1.2Enhancing someone’s appearance: I don’t think anything sleeveless is very flatteringMore example sentences
- Stay fit, dress to suit our figure, get a flattering hairstyle, and enhance nature with the right touch of makeup.
- But they definitely don't enhance a woman's silhouette, so as a flattering trouser option cargo pants are a distinctly poor choice.
- Our French photographers swooped in, coaxing her into fun, flattering clothes and complimenting her in their soothing accents.
- More example sentences
- I was reading a women's magazine article about how to dress flatteringly.
- I adored him and also found, flatteringly, that I had become a thinly disguised character in his first novel.
- He was civil and spoke flatteringly of my papers.