- Any of a group of naturally occurring pigments including riboflavin. They have a tricyclic aromatic molecular structure.More example sentences
- Cellular flavins and flavin adenine dinucleotides and mononucleotides exist mostly as cofactors for enzymes involved in oxidation-reduction reactions.
- Studies performed on cultured mammalian cell lines demonstrate that most of the cell fluorescence arises from reduced pyridine nucleotides, flavins, and lipofuscin.
- Most studies of UVA and violet-blue light responses have implicated carotenoids and flavins as molecular photoreceptors.
mid 19th century: from Latin flavus 'yellow' + -in1.
More definitions of flavinDefinition of flavin in:
- The US English dictionary