Definition of flea in English:
- Order Siphonaptera: several families and many species, including the human flea (Pulex irritans)
- Plague mostly affected rodents, but fleas could transmit the disease to people too.
- Plague is transmitted by fleas that live on rodents.
- It put poison in his blood that killed fleas after one bite.
(as) fit as a flea
- In very good health.Example sentences
- She discovered something her legion of fans have always known: when it comes to shaking her booty, the 34-year-old is one hell of a mover and fit as a flea.
- As fit as a flea, there is no reason why he cannot make a successful transition to turf tomorrow, especially as his rating is significantly lower than the one he is now racing off on the all-weather.
- Jack's daughter Doris Lyons said: ‘My dad was as fit as a flea.’
a flea in one's ear
- A sharp reproof: she expected to be sent away with a flea in her earMore example sentences
- And if anybody asks when we will be having children they will go away with a flea in their ear.
- ‘He was sent away with a flea in his ear,’ said one Labour backbencher.
- A few weeks ago at another tournament in England, such assumptions saw one mouthy opponent dispatched with a flea in his ear.
The first use of flea is recorded as early as the 8th century. Fleas are jumping insects, and since the late 19th century we have used fit as a flea to describe an active, healthy person. People have been sent away with a flea in their ear since the 15th century, and the idea dates back earlier in France. The telling-off or rejection is so ‘sharp’ that it is likened to the pain of a flea bite. Flea markets (early 20th century) and fleapits (mid 20th century), or scruffy cinemas, get their names from the idea that they are places which harbour fleas.
Words that rhyme with fleaabsentee, açai, addressee, adoptee, agree, allottee, amputee, appellee, appointee, appraisee, après-ski, assignee, asylee, attendee, bailee, bain-marie, Bangui, bargee, bawbee, be, Bea, bee, bootee, bouquet garni, bourgeoisie, Brie, BSc, buckshee, Capri, cc, chimpanzee, cohabitee, conferee, consignee, consultee, Cree, debauchee, decree, dedicatee, Dee, degree, deportee, dernier cri, detainee, devisee, devotee, divorcee, draftee, dree, Dundee, dungaree, eau-de-vie, emcee, employee, endorsee, en famille, ennui, enrollee, escapee, esprit, evacuee, examinee, expellee, fee, fiddle-de-dee, flee, fleur-de-lis, foresee, franchisee, free, fusee (US fuzee), Gardaí, garnishee, gee, ghee, glee, goatee, grandee, Grand Prix, grantee, Guarani, guarantee, he, HMRC, indictee, inductee, internee, interviewee, invitee, jamboree, Jaycee, jeu d'esprit, key, knee, Lea, lee, legatee, Leigh, lessee, Ley, licensee, loanee, lychee, manatee, Manichee, maquis, Marie, marquee, me, Midi, mortgagee, MSc, nominee, obligee, Otomi, parolee, Parsee, parti pris, patentee, Pawnee, payee, pea, pee, permittee, plc, plea, pledgee, pollee, presentee, promisee, quay, ratatouille, referee, refugee, releasee, repartee, retiree, returnee, rupee, scot-free, scree, sea, secondee, see, settee, Shanxi, Shawnee, shchi, she, shea, si, sirree, ski, spree, standee, suttee, tant pis, tea, tee, tee-hee, Tennessee, testee, the, thee, three, thuggee, Tiree, Torquay, trainee, Tralee, transferee, tree, Trincomalee, trustee, tutee, twee, Twi, undersea, vestee, vis-à-vis, wagon-lit, Waikiki, warrantee, we, wee, whee, whoopee, ye, yippee, Zuider Zee
Definition of flea in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.