Not showing a serious or respectful attitude: a flippant remark
More example sentences
- My boss was very supportive and saw the same flippant attitude I did when she spoke to them.
- In the end the flippant attitude to the lack of car parking will have disastrous consequences for businesses in Skipton.
- Behind the flippant name hides a serious message about religious ignorance.
frivolous, superficial, shallow, glib, thoughtless, carefree, irresponsible, insouciant, offhand;
disrespectful, irreverent, facetious, cheeky, pert, overfamiliar, impudent, impertinent
British informal saucy
North American informal sassy
- Example sentences
- Her voice taunted him in mock arrogance, but he could tell from the hint of darkness under her eyes that though she meant it flippantly, she was very tired.
- Chris replied flippantly, though his smile was unmistakable.
- Technically, they speak of a purism which redefines the areas of documentary photography in which they may be flippantly or carelessly bracketed.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: flip|pant
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.