nounNorth American • informal • dated
- A cheap car or aircraft, especially one in bad condition.More example sentences
- You look up at the familiar rumble of that inveterate high-wing flivver of general aviation, the little monocoupe Luscombe 8.
- In 1915, the telegrapher would drive his flivver to work across the new Ironton - Russell bridge, eat breakfast at the old ‘Y’ for a nickel, and employ that very same Morse technology that had dispatched trains here since 1887.
- The score is unusual in that it does indeed illustrate the images, sometimes, as in the ‘Sunday Traffic’ sequence, with its convoy of flivvers chugging out of the city.
early 20th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of flivverDefinition of flivver in:
- The US English dictionary