Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of floating holiday in English:
1A public holiday that does not fall on the same numeric date each year, such as the US Thanksgiving, which always falls on the fourth Thursday of November.
- However, while seasonal adjustment is very common and necessary, it doesn't always work for data like retail sales, which can be significantly affected by floating holidays like Easter.
- Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Thanksgiving is a "floating" holiday (ie, not held on the same date each year).
- Columbus Day is a floating holiday, it is always on Monday.
2A paid day off from work, given as a substitution for a public holiday and typically taken on a day chosen by the employee.
- In January, a resolution allowing county employees to use the day as a floating holiday failed by one vote.
- Workers also received a floating holiday meant to answer the demands by various immigrant groups in the union for time off for days celebrating important cultural events.
- At the Manhattan headquarters, Dr. King's birthday is a "floating holiday," one of several workers can choose to take off during the year.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.