Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of floating holiday in English:
1A public holiday that does not fall on the same numeric date each year, such as the US Thanksgiving, which always falls on the fourth Thursday of November.
- Even in Canada, Thanksgiving is a floating holiday.
- Columbus Day is a floating holiday, it is always on Monday.
- Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Thanksgiving is a "floating" holiday (ie, not held on the same date each year).
2A paid day off from work, given as a substitution for a public holiday and typically taken on a day chosen by the employee.
- Employees can choose two floating holidays from among several, including the King holiday, Passover, Good Friday and Columbus Day.
- "Some employers are also offering their senior executives flexible work options in compressed work-weeks, in telecommuting, in floating holidays and in job-sharing and part-time work."
- In January, a resolution allowing county employees to use the day as a floating holiday failed by one vote.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.