(also ice floe)
- A sheet of floating ice.More example sentences
- This choice allowed us to travel comfortably with the wind at our backs while viewing the constant vista of mountains and valleys, the ice-speckled Atlantic Ocean in the distance dotted with floes of drift ice from Quebec and Labrador.
- Fast ice and vast floes, on average, dominated both study areas over the study period.
- The ship moved through the pack ice, elbowing floes out of the way as if they were unwanted thoughts.
early 19th century (superseding flake1 in this sense): probably from Norwegian flo, from Old Norse fló 'layer'.
More definitions of floeDefinition of floe in:
- The US English dictionary