- These breads list whole wheat, whole-wheat flour or another whole grain as the first ingredient on the label.
- If the main ingredient on a multigrain bread is enriched wheat flour, for example, it does not contain whole grain.
- On January 3, the government discontinued the subsidy on wheat flour, causing flour and bread prices to rise.
- Make sure that you add just enough gram flour so that the vegetables stick together.
- Manioc flour may be used to make a watery porridge which is served as a drink.
- The Chamorro people make tortillas of flour from seeds of cycads, which carry potent chemicals such as the neurotoxin BMAA.
- Roll out just over three quarters of the dough on a lightly floured work surface and line the flan tin.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and divide into 12 rounds.
Middle English: a specific use of flower in the sense 'the best part', used originally to mean 'the finest quality of ground wheat'. The spelling flower remained in use alongside flour until the early 19th century.
flower from Middle English:
Despite the big difference in meaning, flower and flour are the same word. In Middle English flower was spelt ‘flour’, but by the 17th century this spelling was limited to the specialized sense of ‘ground grain’. Flour developed from the meaning ‘flower’ or ‘best part of something’. It was then used for ‘the finest quality of ground wheat’, and from this developed the sense we have today. The word comes through French from a Latin root which also gives us flora and flourish ( see faun).
Words that rhyme with flourbower, cower, devour, dower, embower, empower, endower, flower, gaur, Glendower, glower, hour, lour, lower, our, plougher (US plower), power, scour, shower, sour, Stour, sweet-and-sour, tower
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: flour
Definition of flour in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.